Friday, 1 July 2011

Calvin Harris: I Created Disco

While the chart performance of the 2007 debut album by Scottish artist Calvin Harris was comparably modest when compared to other recent debut albums, 'I Created Disco' is uncommon in its composition and even its production, having been created entirely on an Amiga system.

Calvin Harris: I Created Disco

I Created Disco - Calvin Harris

The album begins with 'Merrymaking At My Place,' overt in its intentional disco references. Throughout, Harris uses a clear electric bass line with typical disco drum patterns underpinning the repeated vocal phrases. The following track, 'Colours' continues with the heavily synth led nature of the album. According to a recent interview, the lyrical content of this track refers to a man dissatisfied with women who wear no colour.

The tracks 'Acceptable In The 80's' and 'The Girls,' both released as singles from the album, received widespread airplay as well as use on the small screen. Underpinning both tracks is the album's origins in 80's synthpop with clear influences from acts such as Visage and The Human League. In general, the album would benefit from greater variety rather than a succession of homogenous material. This is seen briefly in the penultimate track, 'Loves Souvenir,' which is reminiscent of synth-based funk music. Sadly however, even this relief from the monotonous style of the rest of the album is highly repetitive and the effect of variety is lost.

Overall, for a 00's debut album, Harris' writing is highly unusual, with several tracks worth a listen.
I Created Disco - Calvin Harris
Save on Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment